This post is a roundup of articles, tutorials, videos and books which will help you learn to write code for WordPress.
These resources will be useful whether you’re:
- A site owner who wants to tweak your own code
- Experienced with code but haven’t coded PHP before
- Someone who wants to lean WordPress coding for school or college
- Aiming to build a crier with WordPress and just getting started
- Wanting to have total control over your website by citing your own theme
- A beginner WordPress developer.
Some of the videos require a subscription – others (and all of the written resources) are free.
Note: the links below aren’t complete just yet. I’ll be adding to them on a frequent basis. Please sign up for my newsletter and I’ll update you when I add new resources.
Introduction to Coding for WordPress
- How WordPress works
- Introduction to PHP
- HTML5 and WordPress
Coding Your Own Theme
- Creating a theme from static HTML
- Beginner’s Theme Development (book)
- Guide to theme template files
- The WordPress theme template hierarchy
- The functions file explained
- Including files in your theme
More Advanced Theme Development
- Creating a framework theme
- Approaches to theme development
- Choosing a third party theme framework
- Parent and child themes
- When to use a plugin and the to use the functions file
- Creating your first plugin
- Action and filter hooks – a guide
- Action and filter hooks – what’s the difference?